Nowadays in Tunisia, we witness the gap between the people and their communities, and it’s causing most of the issues in the country. This is why the International Institute of Debate (IIDebate) along with university of Carthage are working in order to develop youth’s ability to lead, and participate in the civil society through diplomatic and non-violent ways like debate and intercultural dialogue.
This April, IIDebate and University of Carthage are empowering youth and giving them an opportunity to make their voices heard about important issues in the community, by organizing a Debate Tournament.
This project aims to promote debate culture and help high school as well as university students to deepen their understanding of the issues around them and expose them to the different angles of these topics.
The Tournament will take place in Borj Cedria on April 28nd. This competition will bring together 20 teams each composed of 4 members. We will be following the “WUDC Format “.
We are opening applications for teams from all Carthage University institutions who are interested in making changes in their communities through dialogue and debate.
• Every participant must present his/her ID card when registering
• Every team has to register according to the names sent in the application.
• All participants must be on time for debates and competitions.
• Every participant should respect the judges, the participants, the organizing committee and the venue staff.
Word University Debate Competition (WUDC)
Proposition: 4 speakers | Opposition: 4 speakers
WUDC FORMAT OF DEBATING 1.
This style of debate in WUDC format the teams are called “Proposition” and “Opposition” and the debate is presided over by a moderator. Each debater is expected to deliver a constructive speech and to rebut the opposing arguments.
Rounds and motions
For each round including the Finals, the motions will be announced a week in advance before the competition dates.
For each round teams will have 20 minutes of preparation before the debate.
Tunis – Ameni Mathlouthi – firstname.lastname@example.org
Criteria of the debaters:
1. Courage to face the audience without stage fear
2. Good vocabulary and communication skills
3. General knowledge and interest in the present and past context
4. Outstanding leadership qualities
5. Should be able to articulate views clearly
6. Should be positive